Monday, February 07, 2011

Blog #5

"The meaning of a particular thing is enabled by the web of implicit meaning we call the world" (170).

I think pages 169 and 170 explain that quote really well; we cannot define one specific object if we have not defined the objects surrounding it. We have unspoken knowledge of some things which helps us to constantly gain new understanding of what surrounds us.
This quote reminded me of the way I used to look up definitions in the dictionary and had to constantly look up new words to grasp the meaning of the original one. My mom had to often give me a simplified definition before I understood. Being young, I had in many cases not been exposed to the implicit (or even explicit) meaning of things in the world. Even now I need to expand my research to grasp the meaning of things such as politics.

In the third order of order one object is characterized and organized not based on the first letter of its name compared to another. It's organization often relies on its connection to the other object, Weinberger describes the connection such as the tag California bringing up pictures of San Francisco, San Jose and the Golden Gate (167). Even without the California tag on a specific picture, we know (implicitly) that San Francisco is in California, therefore many of us would not take the time to tag it as such.

For my drawing I chose to "illustrate" Enya's song Flora's Secret. I'm not sure I did such a great job making the implicit explicit, but I tried to focus more on how I connect to the song; to link this song to me a computer would have to know that I'm from a foreign country (Enya's "foreign island"), that my Grandparents' hometowns remind me of long green grass and blue skies and that my own hometown is full of willows.

Willow: http://dracoart-stock.deviantart.com/art/Willow-Tree-2-22158486
Field: http://eirian-stock.deviantart.com/art/BG-Dandelion-Field-152980595

4 comments:

  1. Great connection with the image to the song. I really enjoyed your explanation in class. I am not sure that I would have made the interpretation that you described but after you said it during class it made perfect sense. You truly took Weinberger's quote in the sense that you are illustrating the song by its implicit meaning to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too feel that I constantly need to research or look up things to understand others, even if they are general everyday terms to other people. I like looking up the etymology of words when they strike me as odd; most of the time these are words that I use everyday and all of a sudden I am like, “that word really sounds odd, where did it come from?” Your image was really cool. I wasn't expecting something of that style, and to me it seemed that you tagged the map with symbols and emotions rather than words which was a rather unique conceptualization for tagging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your example of looking up things in the dictionary to know the meaning of a word and constantly looking for another word to find the actual meaning of the original word. We can defenately see how it has changed from the physical world to the digital world...."the web of implicit meaning we call the world"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me use your example in class. It was a nice bridge between the overly explicit and overly implicit. You do a good job here answering my questions, and you use support well to do so. Keep in mind the "so what" regarding implicit and explicit information. It's implied here, but just make sure in the midterm specifically to make it explicit (ha!)

    ReplyDelete