Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blog #10

Since I used the example of Elephant Love Medley for a previous Blog, I would keep that link flowing to this blog. The song heard in Moulin Rouge is a already a collage of other songs, so I thought it would be a good song to use when discussing Remixes.
Searching through YouTube, I found an AMV, which links perfectly with Lessig's comments on the importance of Remix in a community setting; the time that is spent by individuals on each of these videos. I would never have the patience to piece together such short pieces of a wide variety of Animes; and as Lessig writes "the aim of these creators is to learn. It is in part to show off. It is in part to create works that are strikingly beautiful. The work is extremely difficult to do well in the creative industries" (77).



This remix (and for that matter most remixes) connects to the idea of media collage that Lessig discusses on page 70. I found it interesting when he writes "collage with physical objects is difficult to do well and expensive to spread broadly. Those barriers either kept many away from this form of expression, or channeled collage into media that could be remixed cheaply" (70). In that point, he states that many individuals remix music rather than film, but when going through YouTube, many creators work with both film and music now-a-day which makes it incredibly interesting to look at. He continues with the idea of collages when he writes "whether text or beyond text, remix is collage; it comes from combining elements of RO culture; it succeeds by leveraging the meaning created by the reference to build something new" (76). The video I chose remixes Elephant Love Medley and then a variety of movie clips, not just from one Anime, but from a dozen.

Looking through comments on a few remixes on YouTube, I found Lessig's remarques on comments perfectly illustrated, there are the simple comments along the lines of "awesome" and "this is EPIC!!!", the ones that critique video and sound, and the trolls "who live for the fights that they can gin up in these spaces" (64). This doesn't apply to the video I chose, which has only positive feedback, but it was very interesting to see the different comments from video to video.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this remix and the connection you make w/ Lessig and collages. Very well done. Also, it's interesting to point to the comments in that these can tell us a lot about how the remix is functioning (or not functioning I do suppose). Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading comment sections on videos and much to my distress my favorite is probably the trolls. I live being able to scoff at their silly attempts to rile up the locals. I think that trolls are an important part of remix culture. If someone takes the time to troll a work of yours you know you are getting some attention because they would not have done it if no one liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't really ever thought of a remix a a collage but I guess anything with many different parts put together into one thing is a collage.

    ReplyDelete